HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Digital Charts/ChartKits & FreeBoatingCharts.com: General: FreeBoatingCharts.com - Use of downloads, etc.: free chart download on a Mac?

August Hahn
Original Message
(Posted Nov 8, 2005 11:48 PM)

I've downloaded a chart file in the .exe format but nothing will open the file on my Mac. If this is a compressed self-extracting archive then unzip should have opened it, but it complains that the file is incomplete. The error is

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.

I'm hoping the answer won't be "use a PC" but I suspect that's the case.

If you aren't using standard zip format for the compressed file (which can be opened by any computer), why?

Previous     
Replies 1 - 15 of 15
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Ed Lecuyer
PC Only
(msg #1: Posted Nov 10, 2005 10:23 AM)

The self extraction, etc., is designed for PC only use. It can not be used on a Mac.

The compressed file format was chosen for a variety of reasons - the most important being the ease of use for our PC navigation customers and integration into our revenue-generating products.

Should there be sufficient interest, we may explore adding a Mac download in the future.

-Ed Lecuyer
Senior Customer Support Manager

Michael Steffenson
RE: PC Only
(msg #1.1: Posted Nov 11, 2005 6:55 PM)

Please add me to the Mac users interested.

August Hahn
RE: PC Only
(msg #1.2: Posted Nov 11, 2005 10:07 PM)

So if you can sell something that you claim is free, you'll support the OS, otherwise you won't. Wonderful. So much for "standards", eh?

(edit)
This has been bothering me all weekend. Where can I go to complain about this policy?

Ed Lecuyer
It *is* free
(msg #1.2.1: Posted Nov 15, 2005 5:15 PM)

Ahem. We are not charging for the Free Charts in any way.

If you really want to complain that we should open a whole new development division, hire programmers, buy computers, add support staff, etc. all for a product that we give away to a market that we would see little or no return on this investment, feel free to argue the point.

Now, maybe once NOAA offers this service themselves (which is what they are planning on doing) they may make it Mac friendly. If not, and it makes some sense for us to make a Mac edition of the extraction program, maybe we can do this. Or, maybe we can work with GPSNavX to do the extractor, etc.

-Ed Lecuyer

August Hahn
RE: It *is* free
(msg #1.2.1.1: Posted Nov 18, 2005 12:16 AM)

Why do you need an installer program? We drag the files from one folder to another. installation done. We're *Mac* users; we don't need our hands held. These are chart files, not OS updates. Package them into a standard ZIP file and post them. We'll take care of it from there.

I want to complain about the fact that you've locked out all users not on a PC. You could have done this the right way and had a standard ZIP file with a PC installer that the PC user ran after unzipping the file, and us Mac users would just ignore the irrelevant installer and do what we always do anyway. Instead we can't get anything from ***FreeBoatingCharts.com*** (note the FREE in there) - instead you had to hire programmers, add support staff, etc. because of your own decision to do it the Wrong Way. And don't try to say you didn't do this, PC support is 10x more than Mac support (I did both, and we had a lot more people on PC support than Mac support).

Your argument is irrelevant, the real problem is your approach is flawed from the start - fix it!

Ed Lecuyer
Our Approach
(msg #1.2.1.1.1: Posted Nov 18, 2005 9:18 AM)

Dear Mr. Hahn,

Maptech built FreeBoatingCharts.com off of existing technology that we had developed for our PC-based chart update service. No new programmers or support staff was required - we whipped this together with minimum effort. If we had tried to make it Mac compatible (based on zip or something else) it would have required a great deal of additional time and resources. Thus, our approach is not flawed and the argument is highly relevant.

FreeBoatingCharts.com has been up for just over one week. We'll be evaluating the site and looking for ways to make it better, and easier to use. We also will be looking at ways to employ it for generating revenue (no revenue = no Maptech = no web site.) This will not include charging for the charts, these will always be free. If a partnership with a Mac navigation software provider develops, we will have to look into changing the way the system works. For the time being, the extraction application will remain PC-based.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Richard Ray
DVD ready for Mac users
(msg #1.2.1.1.1.1: Posted Dec 10, 2005 5:04 PM)

No worries for Mac users. GPSNavX offers all the freeboatingcharts.com BSB charts on a DVD. They are expanded, not encypted, and no registration required - ready for immediate use with GPSNavX and MacENC. More details here..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/rasterDVD.html

Ed Lecuyer
ZIP files now available
(msg #1.2.1.1.1.2.90: Posted Dec 19, 2005 11:05 AM)

Those who wish to get the charts in a .ZIP format, can do so from NOAA's website:
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download.htm
These are the EXACT same charts that are on FreeBoatingCharts.com - we digitize them first, then provide them to NOAA.

-Ed Lecuyer

Richard Ray
RE: ZIP files now available
(msg #1.2.1.1.1.2.90: Posted Dec 19, 2005 12:41 PM)

Correct the zip files will work fine on the Mac although their filenames have the "MS-DOS" style path in them. Example: "BSB_ROOT\11006\11006_1.KAP". Causes no problem, but is a bit unsightly in Finder. I find NOAA's site is down often.

Jasen Jacobsen
RE: ZIP files now available
(msg #1.2.1.1.1.2.90: Posted Sep 27, 2006 8:54 PM)

Ugh. I just tried to download the "free" BSB chart files, and I too found the .exe extractor unusable on my Mac. I understand Maptech not wanting to change the way they're software works, but how about a BIG disclaimer somewhere in the process that says Windows is REQUIRED to use the product. I'm not really downloading "charts", I'm downloading a program that installs/extracts the charts.

Well, off to NOAA to see if I can get them from there.

- Jasen.

Ed Lecuyer
Mac Compatibility
(msg #1.2.1.1.1.2.90: Posted Sep 28, 2006 9:16 AM)

The download instructions for FreeBoatingCharts.com (found here: http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/index.cfm?page=stepbystep) clearly indicate that this is a PC-only application.

Frankly, however, I'm starting to tire of this attitude that Maptech is somehow doing something wrong by making our downloads PC-only. We are a PC software company. We always have been, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

We are also in business. NOAA threw a major curve ball at us by ending the traditional agreement that had been the backbone of our business by deciding to give RNCs away. FreeBoatingCharts.com is an attempt to capture some of the PC customers looking for charts, so that we can offer our software solutions, DVDs, paper ChartKits, Embassy Cruising Guides and other revenue-producing items.

The other option for us would be to discontinue FreeBoatingCharts.com altogether. This could happen if the revenues generated from the sales are not sufficient to cover the cost of operating the web site. So far, it appears that this will not happen - and we are working on some major upgrades to our web presence. Who knows, maybe we'll expand it to the point where it makes economic sense for us to do a Mac version of the download application. Until then, please refer to the NOAA web site for downloads.

-Ed Lecuyer

Richard Ray
RE: Mac Compatibility
(msg #1.2.1.1.1.2.90: Posted Oct 30, 2006 12:45 PM)

Maptech has chosen to support MS-Windows, but GPSNavX has filled the void for the Mac User. We offer marine navigation software that works great with the Maptech BSB raster charts.

That being said, we had many users subscribed (credit balances) with marineplanner.com. Marineplanner.com no longer offers international charts and the domestic charts redirect to freeboatingcharts.com. So this creates a bit of a support problem for Mac users. Fortunately NOAA does offer chart downloads that are Mac compatible (.zip files instead of Windows exes).

Maptech does offer international BSB raster charts and they also offer the excellent "Companion CDs" with traditional paper charts. All of these work just fine with GPSNavX navigation software. GPSNavX also offers a DVD with all of the NOAA charts for those who prefer not to deal with the download process.

Dave Palmer
RE: free chart download on a Mac?
(msg #2: Posted Aug 6, 2007 1:01 PM)

When I saw that there were free charts I was a bit suspicious because almost nothing is "free" anymore. However, doesn't seem to be the case. When I went to download the charts I saw that it was in ".EXE" format or "executable" which is windows. (I resent the use people have for the term "PC" because it simply means personal computer!) Anyhow, being a mac user all my life and knowing that BSB charts are pretty much universal -as long as you have the software to read them, I figured out the "work around" and its basically common sense, all you need is a windows based machine (borrow a friends laptop) open the .EXE chart file you downloaded, make a new folder on the desktop, select that folder as the install location, and your done! Somehow bring that folder (all the charts you downloaded are in it) over to your mac (make a new folder on the desktop if you wish to put them in), such as through a network cable, then delete them off of your friends windows laptop.There you have it! Your charts are on your mac! Bottom line is, these charts ARE FREE and they WILL WORK with a Mac as long as you have the software to read them- i.e. GPSNav X. I hope this solves everybody's issue with the charts not working on the mac.

Dave Palmer
(msg #3: Posted Aug 6, 2007 1:01 PM)

When I saw that there were free charts I was a bit suspicious because almost nothing is "free" anymore. However, doesn't seem to be the case. When I went to download the charts I saw that it was in ".EXE" format or "executable" which is windows. (I resent the use people have for the term "PC" because it simply means personal computer!) Anyhow, being a mac user all my life and knowing that BSB charts are pretty much universal -as long as you have the software to read them, I figured out the "work around" and its basically common sense, all you need is a windows based machine (borrow a friends laptop) open the .EXE chart file you downloaded, make a new folder on the desktop, select that folder as the install location, and your done! Somehow bring that folder (all the charts you downloaded are in it) over to your mac (make a new folder on the desktop if you wish to put them in), such as through a network cable, then delete them off of your friends windows laptop.There you have it! Your charts are on your mac! Bottom line is, these charts ARE FREE and they WILL WORK with a Mac as long as you have the software to read them- i.e. GPSNav X. I hope this solves everybody's issue with the charts not working on the mac.

Roger Fabian Pease
(msg #4: Posted Mar 20, 2009 12:00 AM)

Previous     
Replies 1 - 15 of 15
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS